Raiders sack troubled centre Curtis Scott

2 months ago 21
PR Distribution

Canberra have sacked centre Curtis Scott less than two seasons into his four year contract with the club.

The 23-year-old was charged with assault earlier this month over an alleged incident at a nightclub earlier this year, charges he will defend when the matter goes to court.

Nine's Danny Weidler reports that Scott's teammates were told this morning that his contract has been terminated.

"The Canberra Raiders board of directors today decided to terminate the contract of Curtis Scott effective immediately," the club said in a statement.

"The board carefully considered the statements made at the 'show cause' hearing with Curtis Scott on August 17 and the material supplied afterward.

"The board decided that Curtis Scott's prior behaviour and recent assault charge has brought the club into disrepute, and they could not ignore this and the responsibilities that his NRL playing contract entails.

"The board said the club would continue to support Curtis Scott's ongoing rehabilitation and it will be in contact with NRL welfare in this regard."

Scott hasn't played since Round 12, with his case still being investigated when the decision was made to send all players to Brisbane. He was suspended for three matches and fined $15,000 by the NRL over the nightclub incident.

Curtis Scott has been sacked by Canberra. (Getty)

In an interview with News Corp on Saturday, Scott revealed he had signed up to Alcoholics Anonymous in a bid to get his career back on track.

"I've been to the lowest of the lows," he said. "You can't get any lower. It was as dark as it gets."

"I've had enough of letting myself and other people down. I sourced it all (AA) on my own. I had to look into the mirror and do this myself.

"The reason I did drink was to try to escape the living hell. The pressure and the outside noise. I turned to alcohol to give myself a break and escape my problems."

The nightclub incident was the second brush with the law for Scott in two years, after he was arrested on Australia Day 2020 after being found asleep in Sydney's Moore Park.

Charges against Scott were thrown out in court, with magistrate Jennifer Giles calling the arrest "unlawful".

"I haven't been the same since," Scott said. "It was on the front page for a few days."

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Read Entire Article