(Pocket-lint) - There's no better time to buy a new TV than in the Black Friday sales. There's big discounts on some of the latest sets and it's a perfect opportunity to get a new television into your home before the holiday season.
There's still some time to go before Black Friday arrives, but there's plenty to consider when it comes to buying a TV. Black Friday will fall on 26 November in 2021, followed by Cyber Monday on 29 November, but you can expect the sales to start in the weeks before these dates. To get the best deals, you need to figure out what you're looking for and keep your eye on prices from the middle of November onwards.
Of course, ensuring you're buying the right TV is the most important part.
What to consider when buying a TV
The biggest factor when it comes to buying a TV is where you're going to put it and whether it fits. We all want big TVs, with sizes around 65-inches getting increasingly common. But that size might not fit in all rooms - it might just be too big, so carefully consider how much space you have, including how far you'll be sitting from the screen.
This also helps with decisions on whether you need 8K or not. It's the latest technology, but it's more expensive at the moment and if you're buying a smaller TV, it's not something you need to worry about. If you want to put a larger TV in a smaller room, however, the extra detail it offers can improve the experience when you're sitting closer to the screen.
More important is likely to be the technologies offered. The latest games consoles support 120Hz, and while this technology isn't being hugely exploited at the moment, it might become a lot more important during the life of your TV - and not all TVs offer it, so be sure to check. Another is Dolby Vision - not all TVs offer it and if you're a movie fan, this might a technology you want support for.
We're seeing a wider option of features on TVs - Philips offering its Ambilight illumination is big draw, while the depate about OLED, QLED or just LCD still rumble on - and Black Friday often makes those premium TVs a little more affordable.
Where are the best TV deals on Black Friday?
Discounting on TVs is pretty universal across retailers, with many dropping prices. The great thing about televisions is that many get discounts at the end of the year because they have been available for some time, so you can still get the latest tech at lower prices.
US TV retailers
UK TV retailers
We're going to be highlighting many of the best deals around the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales period below, broken down into the most common sizes. At the moment, we've left the deals in place from last year so you know what to expect. You can jump to the section you want with the links below - and then navigate by screen size.
Best US Black Friday TV deals last year
The ideal size for bedrooms, dorm rooms or just smaller spaces.
• Samsung 32-inch Q50R QLED, now $399.99 (save $100). This small-scale 2019 model uses Samsung's top-spec QLED technology for colours that punch. It delivers big for a small package - and there's 20 per cent off. Click here to view the deal on Samsung store
The ideal size for smaller rooms or as a second or third TV.
• LG 43-inch UN7000 4K TV, now $249.99 ($100 off): LG offers great software and picture quality, at a scale that's friendly for smaller rooms. View the deal at Target here
The majority of TV sales come in the 50-60-inch sizes, with 55-inch being the average.
• Hisense 55-inch R6040G, now $199 (save $150). Wow. A 55-inch TV for under £200 is an insane deal - at 43% off. Check out the offer at Target
• TCL 55-inch Class 4 Series LED, now $199.99 ($200 savings). An exclusive to BestBuy, this TCL set has a very appealing asking price indeed. Bag one at BestBuy
• Hisense 55-inch H6510G 4K LED, now $269.99 (save $130). Big screen on a budget, that's what Hisense is all about. See the deal at BestBuy
• Samsung 55-inch Q60T, now $597.99 (save $102). At the lower end of its QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. Check out the deal at Walmart
• Samsung 55-inch Q90T QLED, now $1299.99 (save $500): The top-end 4K Samsung QLED set for 2020 has a big chunk of change cut off its asking pice. Click here to view the deal on Samsung store
More and more people are looking for a bigger TV - where the biggest savings can be found.
• TCL 65-inch 4K Roku TV (65S434), now $229.99 (save $170). Being a Roku TV this TCL has a super interface to match its epic size. There's a huge 43% off too. See the deal at Target
• Samsung 65-inch Q60T, now $897.99 (save $102). At the lower end of its QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. Check out the deal at Walmart
• LG 65-inch NANO90, now $1094 (save $905.95): If you're set on a big brand and saving big then LG is the best in the business. And this is a great discount. View the deal at Walmart
• Sony Bravia 65-inch A8, now $1799.99 (save $1000). Sony's competitor to LG, this OLED offers superb picture qualityand cleverly uses the screen to produce the audio - so there are no unsightly speakers. Check out the deal at BestBuy
• LG 65-inch CX OLED, now $1899.99 (save $600). If you want a top-end panel - this being an OLED with super deep blacks - then LG delivers the best in the business. See the deal at BestBuy
• Samsung 65-inch Q90T QLED, now $1899.99 (save $700). The top-end 4K Samsung QLED set for 2020 has a big chunk of change cut off its asking pice. Click here to view the deal on Samsung store | Also available at BestBuy
If supersize is your aim then these massive panels won't fail to impress - just make sure you've got the space!
• Samsung 70-inch 4K LED TV (UN70TU6980FXZA), now $529.99 (save $220). For just over $500 you can pick up this massive Samsung Crystal LED set. View the deal at BestBuy
• TCL 75-inch 4K Roku TV (75S425), now $799.99 (save $200). Being a Roku TV this TCL has a super interface to match its epic size. See the deal at Target
• Sony 75-inch X800H, now $998 (save $300). It almost defies belief that you can bag a premium brand 75-inch TV delivered to your door for under $1000! This is a current-gen 2020 set, too, so there's no compromise in terms of age. Check out the deal on Amazon
• Samsung 75-inch Q70T, now $1,499.99 (save $700). A massive screen in the mid-tier of Samsung's QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. Check out the deal at Samsung Store
Best UK Black Friday TV deals last year
Great for students or as bedroom TVs.
• Philips 43-inch PUS7555, now £289 (save 15%). Perhaps you're looking for a 2020 TV to act as a gaming monitor. This current-gen 43in set from Philips has Ambilight to expand the image beyond the frame. And there's 15 per cent off. Bag this bargain at Currys PC World
• LG 49-inch UN7300, now £379 (save 16%). With a great operating system, this well-sized 4K LED TV is a tempting price indeed. View this deal on Amazon
• Samsung 43-inch H8505, now £679 (save £170). This LED backlit 4K set is all about brightness. Check out the deal at Currys PC World
• Samsung 49-inch Q80T, now £799 (save £300). Hitting the sweet spot of its QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. See the offer at Currys PC World
• Philips 58-inch 58PUS7555, now £379 (save £122). A larger-scale Ambilight set for a smaller-scale price than usual. Click here to view the deal at Currys PC World
• Panasonic 58-inch GX700, now £449 (save £150). Panasonic's 4K LED TV brings crisp pictures and a high refresh rate - at a low price. See the deal at Amazon
• Samsung 55-inch Q60T, now £699 (save £500). At the lower end of its QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. Check out the deal at Very.co.uk
• Samsung 55-inch Q85T QLED, now £899 (save £400). A great Samsung TV, pushing 4K HDR with a healthy discount. View the offer here
• Sony 55-inch Bravia H9505, now £999 (save £400). This LED backlit telly is all about brightness. Click to see this deal on Currys PC World
• Philips 55-inch OLED+935, now £1,699 (save £300). The top-end 2020 set from Philips is gorgeous to look at, complete with Ambilight for added dynamism. Exclusive deal to Currys PC World
If you've got a little more space, then going larger than 60-inches can give you a much more immersive experience.
• LG 65-inch NANO956NA, now £1799 (save £1200). More eye-popping detail than you can shake a stick at from this 8K TV - and with a massive discount too! Check out the deal at Currys PC World
• Samsung 65-inch Q700, now £1999 (save £700). Samsung's handling of 8K with QLED technology makes for arguably the best Ultra-Ultra HD from any company out there. View offer on AO.com
• Panasonic 65-inch HX580, now £679 (save £220). Panasonic's 4K LED TV brings crisp pictures and a high refresh rate - at a low price. See the deal at Amazon
• Samsung 65-inch Q80T, now £1299 (save £500). Hitting the sweet spot of its QLED range, this set is very fairly priced and has super picture quality. Check out the deal at Currys PC World
• Sony 65-inch Bravia H9505, now £1299 (save £400). This LED backlit telly is all about brightness. Visit Currys PC World for this offer
• Samsung 65-inch Q85T, now £1499 (save £500). With even more backlight zones this second-from-top QLED panel offers super picture quality. Check out the deal at Currys PC World
• Sony Bravia 65-inch A8, now £1999 (save £600). Sony's competitor to LG, this OLED offers superb picture qualityand cleverly uses the screen to produce the audio - so there are no unsightly speakers. Check out the deal at Currys PC World
• Sony 75-inch XG85, now £1399 (save £600). Only a few days left on this massive edge-lit 4K LED set. See this offer on Amazon
• Samsung 75-inch Q95T, now £2989 (save £1010). For the ultimate movie fan, this top-of-the-line set from Samsung has its most comprehensive backlighting setup for stunning QLED picture quality. Check out the deal at Currys PC World
Writing by Mike Lowe. Editing by Chris Hall. Originally published on 11 November 2016.